Thursday, January 11, 2007

Charlotte

Is of French origin, and its meaning is "little and womanly". Feminine dimunitive of Charles, used in England since the 17th century, and made popular by Queen Charlotte, George III's wife (19th century).
Literary: in E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web", the heroine of the title is a spider.
Novelist Charlotte Brontë; actress Charlotte Rampling; singer Charlotte Church.
Variations of Charlotte are:
Carla, Carleen, Carlie, Carline, Carlota, Carlotta, Carly, Carlyne, Char, Chara, Charill, Charla, Charlaine, Charleen, Charlene, Charlet, Charlette, Charlie, Charline, Charlot, Charlotta, Charly, Charlyne, Charmain, Charmaine, Charmian, Charmion, Charmion, Charo, Charty, Charyl, Cherlyn, Cheryl, Cheryll, Karla, Karleen, Karlene, Karli, Karlicka, Karlie, Karlika, Karline, Karlota, Karlotta, Karlotte, Karly, Karlyne, Lola, Loleta, Loletta, Lolita, Lolotte, Lotta, Lottchen, Lotte, Lottey, Lotti, Lottie, Lotty, Sharel, Sharil, Sharla, Sharlaine, Sharleen, Sharlene, Sharlet, Sharlette, Sharline, Sharlot, Sharmain, Sharmayne, Sharmian, Sharmion, Sharyl, Sheri, Sherie, Sherrie, Sherry, Sherye, Sheryl and Tottie.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

If Charles means "free man", and Charlotte is a feminine dimunitive of Charles, why does Charlotte mean "little and womanly"?

That's a lot of variations, but I wouldn't want to be called Sharmain.

Crazyjedidiah said...

I dunno I didn't write it I just copied it

Anonymous said...

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can
survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a
youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.
I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!


Also visit my web blog; Telecharger GTA 5 PC